TIPS TO REDUCE ULTRASOUNDTRANSDUCER CONTAMINATION
1.REDUCTION OF ULTRASOUND PROBE CONTAMINATION
The basic hygiene protocols such as,
- The hands are considered one of the main routes of spread of infection effective hand washing or decontamination with alcohol hand rubs is therefore of paramount importance in the control of infection.
- Hand decontamination has a duel role to protect both the patient and the healthcare worker from acquiring micro-organisms which may cause them harm.
The use of glove
- All operators should use gloves when scanning.
- It reduces the risk of cross contamination.
- Do not wash or decontaminate gloves for reuse.
2.CHOICE OF ULTRASOUND GEL
- Gels used for medical purposes do not have bacteriostatic properties.
- The use of sterile gel would lower infection rates.
3.ULTRASOUND PROBE DECONTAMINATION
- Wiping probes with a dry towel resulted in persistent contamination.
- Some chemical disinfectants,such as glutaraldehyde can pose health hazards to staff in direct skin contact or through inhalation.
- As well as causing unhealthy work environments for staff and patients.
- Probe contamination should be conducted away from the clinical area in a dedicated contamination room where possible.