ULTRASOUND CRYSTAL ARRAYS
Ultrasound arrays are the soul part of an ultrasound transducer. They are created by slicing piezoelectrical crystal into many smaller active elaments. each elements are unique and they slit in different compartments that are shielded fro each other.
TYPES OF ARRAYS
- Linear array
- Phased array
- Curved array
- Elements are arranged in linear line that is in a sequence order
- Crystals are arranged side by side
- Each crystal creates a single scan line
- Up to 512 crystals
- Used for vascular ultrasound applications
- Eg:- GE 8L probe
- Crystals are arranged in a linear line
- Each crystals creates multiple scan images
- They are fixed in phases
- Up to 128 elements
- Small footprints
- Used for cardiac ultrasound applications
- Eg:- GE 3S probe
- Crystals are arranged in side by side. but transducer shape is curved.
- Naturally creates an image with arc.
- Used for Gynaecology applications
- Eg:- GE 4C probe