TEE PROBE CARING
TEE probes are the most sensitive link in an ultrasound imaging system. Because they are used by different medical persons,tested,cleaned and transported with in the hospital, they are suspectable to all types of damages resulting from dropping, aggressive cleaning method and banging. So these types of expensive probes need proper caring which includes inspection,well handling,cleaning and disinfection.
What can hurt a TEE probe ????
- Electro-static discharge on or around the lens or pins
- Not use of bite guard
- Improper handling like dropping and banging
- Improper disinfection
- Improper storage and transportation
Caring of TEE probes
- Inspect probe on regular basis. It includes:
- Visual inspection of TEE probe parts like lens, bending rubber etc.
- Testing of articulation mechanism
- Electrical leakage testing
2. Handling and storage
- Probe should be handled as per manufacturer's specification.
- Log book should be kept to document frequency of check.
- TEE probe should be transported in either a caring case or clear pillow case to prevent unnecessary banging of probes.
- Probe should be stored in a place where it can hang.
- Written procedure to be in place for care and handling of the TEE probes.
- Gloves are worn when handling probes.
3. Cleaning and Disinfection
- Immediately after use the probe should be washed with soapy water, rinsed off, and patted dry before immersing in the sterilisation fluid.
- Probe should soak a set amount of time as directed by the type of sterilisation solution being used.
- When removed from solution, probe should be rinsed off and patted dry before putting away.
- Ensure sterilisation room is well ventilated and away from the scanning room.
- Always have process of probe sterilisation reviewed by an infection control specialist.
- Solution should be changed every 14 days or time suggested by the manufacturer ; maintain record with the date and initials of staff who changed the solution.
To know more about TEE probe caring click on the below links