- Capacitive Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer arrays is a new technology in the field of ultrasoundsonography.
- It contains parallely connected units called cells, made up of silicon.
- Each cell in the system is a capacitor composed of fixed plate and a flexible plate separated by a vacuum cavity.
- The vacuum cavity can have any shape.
- The flexible plate of the system determines the operating frequency of the transducer.
- Silicon micro matching techniques have enabled the creation of highly efficient CMUTs .
- If an ac voltage is applied across the flexible membrane , the capacitance of the membrane changes and produce ultrasonic wave in to a medium (as transmitter)
- If the ultrasound wave is applied across the membrane it will also changes the capacitance produces an alternating signal. (as receiver)
|Structure of a 1D CMUT Array|
- Having higher axial and lateral resolution
- Higher speed
- Can easily achieve a fractional bandwidth of over 100% in medical applications.
- Provides improved 3D and 4D diagnostic applications for areas such as ophthalmology, dermatology, and cardiology.
EXAMPLES OF CMUT ARRAY TRANSDUCERS
- L22-8v transducer